- Newsy Tips
- 7 Rules for Feeding Your Dog Correctly
- Top 5 Dog Allergies
- Dog Food Allergies
- Diarrhea in Dogs
- Dog Nutrition
- 9 Common Dog Poisons
- Diabetes in Dogs: Symptoms, Care & Diet
- Pancreatitis in Dogs: Cause, Symptoms & Treatment
As you well know, dogs tend to eat all kinds of food and dangerous substances, habit which often has serious consequences like diarrhea, vomiting, food allergy or poisoning. Common substances that you regularly use in your home might be very dangerous for your dog, leading to gastrointestinal and neurological problems, cardiac and respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Here are the most common dog poisons that you should keep your dog away from.
Most Common Dog Poisons
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, which can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure.
- Antidepressants, which may cause vomiting and, in more serious instances, serotonin syndrome – a dangerous condition described by high temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure, and may cause seizures.
- Isoniazid, a tuberculosis drug, which can be very dangerous even in small amounts. The signs of poisoning include seizures and coma.
#2. Flea and tick products. Be careful when you treat your dog from a flea energy. These types of products are responsible for poisoning thousands of dogs every year. Ingestion or excessive amounts can cause real problems especially for the small dogs. To avoid problems always follow guidelines on flea or tick products.
#3. Human foods. Don’t be tempted to share your food with your dog. A piece of chocolate or some macadamia nuts can be a serious threat for your dog. The most dangerous foods for dogs are: chocolate, alcohol, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins, cakes and sweets (anything containing Xylitol, an artificial sweetener). Read more on dangerous foods for dogs.
#4. Rodenticides: Rat and Mouse Poison. These substances can cause severe injuries in dogs and the symptoms may not appear for several days, particularly if the dog has eaten the poisoned animal. Be careful how you use these toxins and try to isolate your dog until your house is free from rodents. Also, inform your neighbors if you put out rat bait, so they can protect their pets from exposure.
#6. Chemicals. We use chemical substances around our house on a regular basis. Products like antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools can lead to stomach upset, depression and chemical burns for your dog. Store all chemicals and cleaners in pet-inaccessible areas.
#7. Heavy metals. Most common heavy metals are lead and zinc. Lead, which may be in paint, linoleum, and batteries, can be poisonous if eaten by your dog, causing gastrointestinal and neurological problems. Zinc poisoning may occur in dogs that swallow pennies, producing symptoms of weakness from severe anemia.
#9. Plants. Many people share the passion of growing plants and although they may look rather pretty, they can be very dangerous for dogs. Moreover, the fertilizer which is commonly used for plants, lawn and gardens is poisonous too. The most toxic plants are:
- Azaleas and rhododendrons. These plants contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and even death.
- Tulips and daffodils. The bulbs of these plants may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions and heart damage.
- Sago palms. Ingesting just a few seeds may be enough to cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure.
Be sure you check whether a plant is toxic or not before buying it. ASPCA has an online list of toxic and non-toxic plants.
If you have any suspicion that your dog might be poisoned, try to identify the potential cause and contact your veterinarian immediately.
Dog Training Tip #1